Catholic Church Sexual Abuse Attorney
Unfortunately, in recent years there have been quite a few Catholic sex abuse cases and allegations. Many priests have been convicted on multiple counts of child abuse, rape, sexual abuse, inappropriate sexual conduct and more.
Catholic abuse is child sexual abuse crimes committed by Catholic priests and members of Roman Catholic orders against children as young as 3 years old with the majority between the ages of 11 and 14. Many of the cases span several decades and are brought forward years after the abuse occurred. Cases have also been brought against members of the Catholic hierarchy who did not report sex abuse allegations to the legal authorities.
Sexual abuse by priests, nuns and other church officials is especially damaging because of the impact it tends to have on the victim’s spiritual foundations. Many survivors simply choose to remain silent rather than disturb their own faith. At The Law Offices of Eugene K. Hollander, we are dedicated to assisting the survivors of sexual abuse in bringing successful claims against Catholic priests and the church that supports them.
Our law firm will fully investigate the circumstances of your case. In most cases involving the Catholic Church, bishops and other high-ranking church officials had knowledge of the abuse, and yet continued to let it flourish. We will look closely to see who knew or should have known about the sexual abuse and work to hold the responsible parties accountable. We will then work diligently to recover appropriate damages, either in litigation or in settlement negotiations.
In the United States, BishopAccountability.org, an “online archive established by lay Catholics,” reports that over 3,000 civil lawsuits have been filed against the church, some of these cases have resulted in multi-million dollar settlements with many claimants. The Associated Press estimated the settlements of sex abuse cases from 1950 to 2007 totaled more than $2 billion. BishopAccountability.org puts the figure at more than $3 billion in 2012. Eight Catholic dioceses have declared bankruptcy due to sex abuse cases from 2004-2011.
Statistics on Catholic Abuse
- There were approximately 10,667 reported victims (younger than 18 years) of clergy sexual abuse between 1950 and 2002
- 81% of these victims were male
- Female victims of sexual abuse by Catholic priests tended to be younger than the males.
- A substantial number (almost 2000) of very young children were victimized by priests during this time period.
- 9,281 victim surveys had information about an investigation. In 6,696 (72%) cases, an investigation of the allegation was carried out. Of these, 4,570 (80%) were substantiated; 1,028 (18%) were unsubstantiated; 83 (1.5%) were found to be false. In 56 cases, priests were reported to deny the allegations.
- More than 10 percent of these allegations were characterized as not substantiated because diocese or order could not determine whether the alleged abuse actually took place.
- For approximately 20 percent of the allegations, the priest was deceased or inactive at the time of the receipt of the allegation and typically no investigation was conducted in these circumstances.
Many of the reports of Catholic Abuse reported acts of sexual abuse involving fondling or unspecified abuse. Reports also show a large number of allegations of forced acts of oral sex and intercourse.
Victims of priest or clergy abuse may have been so traumatized that they have repressed the memories from a series of inappropriate sexual contacts. The Law Offices of Eugene K. Hollander is well acquainted with the difficulties that a victim faces when they wish to complain of sexual abuse, and when necessary, can retain the appropriate experts to provide therapy or otherwise evaluate how such a victim has suffered financial losses, or how the trauma has interfered with their ability to hold down employment.
You are not alone if you have suffered sexual abuse of any kind or severity at the hands of a Catholic priest. At The Law Offices of Eugene K. Hollander we are dedicated to helping survivors of Catholic clergy sexual abuse. Please call our office today at 312-425-9100 to arrange a free initial consultation. Our attorneys will get you the help you deserve and are committed to helping survivors of Catholic priest sexual abuse.